The enzymatic method for the quantitative determination of benzalkonium chloride in the antiseptic solution “CUTASEPT® F”
Keywords:benzalkonium chloride, CUTASEPT® F, cholinesterase, acetylcholine
Aim. To develop an alternative method for the quantitative determination of the benzalkonium chloride content as an active pharmaceutical ingredient in the disinfectant solution “CUTASEPT® F”.
Materials and methods. The method is based on the ability of benzalkonium chloride to inhibit the enzymatic hydrolysis of acetylcholine by acetylcholinesterase. The reaction rate is assessed by the non-hydrolyzed acetylcholine residue, which is determined by the amount of peracetic acid produced during the interaction with the excess of the hydrogen peroxide solution. The indicator reaction is the interaction of p-phenetidine with peracetic acid that leads to the formation of 4,4’-azoxyphenetole with λmax = 358 nm (log10 ε = 4.2).
Results and discussion. As a result of the research conducted the linear dependence of the degree of inhibition of the enzymatic hydrolysis of acetylcholine (U, %) on the concentration of benzalkonium chloride was determined in the concentration range of (0.5 – 7.0) × 10–6 mol L-1 with the correlation coefficient of 0.999. The limit of quantitation was 1.9 × 10–6 mol L-1.
Conclusions. As a result of the research conducted the kinetic enzymatic method for the quantitative determination of benzalkonium chloride has been developed by its inhibitory effect in the biochemical reaction of acetylcholine hydrolysis. This method is fast, cheap and easy to perform, does not require expensive equipment, and available for use in the field.
- The work is a part of researches of the National University of Pharmacy on the topic «Organic synthesis and analysis of biologically active compounds, drugs development on the basis of synthetic substances» (the state registration No. 01144000943; the research period 2019 – 2024).
- Ghafoor, D.; Khan, Z.; Khan, A.; Ualiyeva, D.; Zaman, N. Excessive use of disinfectants against COVID-19 posing a potential threat to living beings. Current Research in Toxicology 2021, 2, 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crtox.2021.02.008.
- МЕТОДИЧНІ ВКАЗІВКИ щодо застосування засобу КУТАСЕПТ® Г (CUTASEPT® G) з метою дезінфекції. http://www.xn--80aaolbmrsqie.com.ua/upl/admin_upload/bode/%D1%81utasept_g.pdf (accessed Sep 5, 2021).
- Martykanova, D. S.; Davletova, N. C.; Zemlenuhin, I. A.; Volchkova, V. I.; Mugallimov, S. M.; Ahatov, A. M.; Laikov, A. V.; Markelova, M. I.; Boulygina, E. A.; Lopukhov, L. V.; Grigoryeva, T. V. Skin Microbiota in Contact Sports Athletes and Selection of Antiseptics for Professional Hygiene. BioMed Research International 2019, Article ID 9843781. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/9843781.
- Gaber, M.; Abu Shawish, H. M.; Khedr, A. M.; Abed-Almonem, K. I. Determination of benzalkonium chloride preservative in pharmaceutical formulation of eye and ear drops using new potentiometric sensors. Materials Science and Engineering: C 2012, 32 (8), 2299-2305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2012.06.018.
- Bertuzzi, T.; Pietri, A. Determination of Benzalkonium Homologues and Didecyldimethylammonium in Powdered and Liquid Milk for Infants by Hydrophilic Interaction Liquid Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry. Food Analytical Methods 2014, 7 (6), 1278-1284. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-013-9745-y.
- Díez, C.; Feinberg, M.; Spörri, A. S.; Cognard, E.; Ortelli, D.; Edder, P.; Rudaz, S. Evaluation of Quantification Methods to Compensate for Matrix Effects in the Analysis of Benzalkonium Chloride and Didecyldimethylammonium Chloride in Fruits and Vegetables by LC-ESI-MS/MS. Food Analytical Methods 2016, 9 (2), 485-499. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-015-0216-5.
- Miyauchi, T.; Mori, M. Improved quantitative determination of benzalkonium chloride in treated wood by liquid chromatography. Holzforschung 2007, 61 (3), 337-341. https://doi.org/10.1515/HF.2007.047.
- AlAani, H.; AlNukkary, Y. Determination of Benzalkonium Chloride in Ophthalmic Solutions by Stability-Indicating HPLC Method: Application to a Stability Study. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2016, 6 (5), 080-089. https://doi.org/10.7324/JAPS.2016.60513.
- Issa, Y. M.; Abdel-kader, N. S.; Zahran A. E. Spectrophotometric Determination of Benzalkonium Chloride using Sulfonephthaleins. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res. 2021, 68 (1), 50-59. http://dx.doi.org/10.47583/ijpsrr.2021.v68i01.009.
- Kostić, D. A.; Mitić, S. S.; Nasković, D. Č.; Zarubica, A. R.; Mitic, M. N. Determination of Benzalkonium Chloride in Nasal Drops by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. E-Journal of Chemistry 2012, 9, Article ID 172070. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/172070.
- Ivan, G. R.; Stoica, R.; Radu, E.; Capra, L.; Manolache, M. Determination of Benzalkonium Chloride from Biocide Products: Selectivity Study. Proceedings 2019, 29 (1), 94. https://doi.org/10.3390/proceedings2019029094.
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy: v 3 tomakh, 2 vydannia [The State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine: in 3 volumes, 2nd ed., in Ukrainian]; State Enterprise “Ukrainian Scientific Pharmacopoeial Center for Quality of Medicines”: Kharkiv, 2015; Vol. 1.
- Blazheevskiy, M. Ye.; Dyadchenko, V. V. Kinetic determination of anticholinesterase compounds by a biochemical method by oxidizing reaction of p-phenetidine as display. Farmatsevtychnyi zhurnal 2004, 2, 52-58.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 National University of Pharmacy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors publishing their works in the Journal of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry agree with the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right of the first publication of the work under Creative Commons Attribution License allowing everyone to distribute and re-use the published material if proper citation of the original publication is given.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book) providing proper citation of the original publication.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on authors’ personal websites) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).