The quantitative content determination of main groups of biologically active substances in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits
Keywords:Viburnum opulus, fruits, polyphenols, ellagotannins, hydroxycinnamic acids, organic acids, quantitative content
Aim. To determine the quantitative content of the main groups of biologically active substances (BAS) in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits using pharmacopeial methods for their subsequent use in the standardization of the plant raw material.
Materials and methods. For the study, 6 batches of air-dried Viburnum opulus fruits crushed to a particle size of 1 – 2 mm and harvested in different regions of Ukraine in the mass fruiting phase in October-November 2020 were used. The quantitative determination of polyphenols and tannins was performed using the spectrophotometric method at a wavelength of 760 nm calculated with reference to pyrogallol and dried substance. The total amount of hydroxycinnamic acids was determined according to the method of the SPhU (State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine) 2.0 described in the monograph “Kidney TeaN” calculated with reference to rosemary acid. The total amount of organic acids was determined by the titrimetric method according to the method of the monograph of the SPhU 2.1 “Rose hipsN” calculated with reference to malic acid.
Results and discussion. The quantitative content of polyphenols (calculated with reference to pyrogallol and dried substance) in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits varied by about 1.4 times from 1.74 ± 0.01 % to 2.36 ± 0.01 %. According to the results obtained, the quantitative content of tannins (calculated with reference to pyrogallol and dried substance) in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits varied by 1.7 times from 0.73 ± 0.01 % to 1.23 ± 0.01 %. The quantitative content of the total amount of hydroxycinnamic acids calculated with reference to rosemary acid in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits ranged by 1.2 times from 3.96 ± 0.01 % to 4.73 ± 0.01 %. The quantitative content of the total amount of organic acids calculated with reference to malic acid in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits fluctuated more than 1.3 times from 6.80 ± 0.01 % to 9.08 ± 0.01 %.
Conclusions. The quantitative content of the main groups of biologically active substances has been determined in 6 batches of Viburnum opulus fruits harvested in different regions of Ukraine using pharmacopoeial methods: polyphenols (varied by 1.4 times), tannins (varied by 1.7 times), the total amount of hydroxycinnamic (varied by 1.2 times), and the total amount of organic acids (varied by 1.3 times) calculated with reference to dried substance. The content of the groups of biologically active substances in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits slightly correlates with the place of the raw material harvesting. Thus, the selected methods of the SPhU 2.0 are quite suitable for determining the quantitative content of polyphenols, tannins and of the total amount of hydroxycinnamic and organic acids in batches of Viburnum opulus fruits; they can be used in further studies to standardize the raw material.
- The work is a part of the research of the National University of Pharmacy on the topic “The pharmacognostic study of the me- dicinal plant raw material and development of phytotherapeutic agents based on it” (the state registration No. 0114U000946).
- Sanajou, S.; Nourhashemi, S.; Fallah, A.; Ercetin, T.; Sahin, M. F.; Gulcan, H. O. The investigation of the interaction of several antipsychotic drugs with human cholinesterase enzymes. EMU Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2018, 1 (1), 1-5.
- Informatsiino-dovidkova systema “Reiestr sortiv” [Information and reference system “Register of varieties”, in Ukrainian]. http://service.ukragroexpert.com.ua/ (accessed 20.10.2021).
- Makovskaya, I. S.; Novoselov, S. V. Analiz i perspektivy ispol'zovaniya kaliny v proizvodstve plodoyagodnih siropov funktsional'nogo naznacheniya [Analysis and prospects for the use of viburnum in the production of functional fruit syrups, in Russian]. Polzunovskij al'manah 2011, 4/2, 137–145.
- Odarchenko, D. M.; Kudriashov, A. I.; Babich, A. O. Zamorozheni napivfabrykaty z dykoroslykh yahid [Frozen semi-finished products from wild berries, in Ukrainian]; Kharkiv State University of Food Technology and Trade publishing office: Kharkiv, 2014.
- Syza, O. I.; Savchenko, O. M.; Zhurok, I. M.; Dorozhynska, M. V. Poroshok z vychavkiv yahid kalyny v tekhnolohii vyrobnytstva pshenychnoho khliba [Powder from the schrot of berries of Viburnum in the technology of production of wheat bread, in Ukrainian]. Technical sciences and technologies 2017, 4, 176-188.
- Kajszczak, D.; Zakłos-Szyda, M.; Podsędek, A. Viburnum opulus L.—A Review of Phytochemistry and Biological Effects. Nutrients 2020, 12 (11), 3398. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12113398.
- Podsędek, A.; Zakłos-Szyda, M.; Polka, D.; Sosnowska, D. Effects of Viburnum opulus fruit extracts on adipogenesis of 3T3-L1 cells and lipase activity. Journal of Functional Foods 2020, 73, 104111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2020.104111.
- Zakłos-Szyda, M.; Pawlik, N.; Polka, D.; Nowak, A.; Koziołkiewicz, M.; Podsędek, A. Viburnum opulus Fruit Phenolic Compounds as Cytoprotective Agents Able to Decrease Free Fatty Acids and Glucose Uptake by Caco-2 Cells. Antioxidants 2019, 8 (8), 262. https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox8080262.
- Winkworth, R. C.; Donoghue, M. J. Viburnum phylogeny based on combined molecular data: implications for taxonomy and biogeography. American Journal of Botany 2005, 92 (4), 653-666. https://doi.org/10.3732/ajb.92.4.653.
- İlhan, M.; Ergene, B.; Süntar, I.; Özbilgin, S.; Saltan Çitoğlu, G.; Demirel, M. A.; Keleş, H.; Altun, L.; Küpeli Akkol, E. Preclinical Evaluation of Antiurolithiatic Activity of Viburnum opulus L. on Sodium Oxalate-Induced Urolithiasis Rat Model. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014, 2014, 578103. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/578103.
- Bujor, A.; Miron, A.; Luca, S. V.; Skalicka-Wozniak, K.; Silion, M.; Trifan, A.; Girard, C.; Demougeot, C.; Totoson, P. Vasorelaxant effects of Crataegus pentagyna: Links with arginase inhibition and phenolic profile. J. Ethnopharmacol. 2020, 252, 112559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2020.112559.
- Saltan, G.; Süntar, I.; Ozbilgin, S.; Ilhan, M.; Demirel, M. A.; Oz, B. E.; Keleş, H.; Akkol, E. K. Viburnum opulus L.: A remedy for the treatment of endometriosis demonstrated by rat model of surgically-induced endometriosis. J. Ethnopharmacol. 2016, 193, 450-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.09.029.
- Sarıözkan, S.; Türk, G.; Eken, A.; Bayram, L. Ç.; Baldemir, A.; Doğan, G. Gilaburu (Viburnum opulus L.) fruit extract alleviates testis and sperm damages induced by taxane-based chemotherapeutics. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 2017, 95, 1284-1294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2017.09.057.
- Polka, D.; Podsędek, A. Phenolics composition and antioxidant capacity of guelder rose fruit, flower and bark extracts. Biotechnology and Food Science 2019, 83 (1), 37-47. https://doi.org/10.34658/bfs.2019.83.1.37-47.
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants, 4th Ed.; Brickell, Ch., Ed.; Dorling Kindersley: United Kingdom, 2016.
- Kasiyanchuk, V. D.; Kasiyanchuk, M. V.; Kovach, M. M. Osoblyvosti vykorystannia plodiv kalyny yak syrovyny dlia vyhotovlennia likuvalno-profilaktychnykh zasobiv [Features of the use of viburnum fruits as raw materials for the manufacture of therapeutic and prophylactic agents, in Ukrainian]. Naukovyi visnyk NLTU Ukrainy 2013, 23 (18), 32 -35.
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy, 2 vydannia, dopovnennia 1 [The State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine, 2nd Ed., suppl. 2, in Ukrainian]; State Enterprise “Ukrainian Scientific Pharmacopoeial Center for Quality of Medicines”: Kharkiv, 2016.
- Gosudarstvennaya Farmakopeya SSSR: Obshchie metody analiza. Lekarstvennoe rastitel'noe syr'yo, 11-e izdanie, Vypusk 2 [The State Pharmacopoeia of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics: General methods of analysis. Medicinal plant raw materials, 11th Ed., issue 2, in Russian]; Medicina: Moscow, 1990.
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy, 2 vydannia, dopovnennia 4 [The State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine, 2nd Ed., suppl. 2, in Ukrainian]; State Enterprise “Ukrainian Scientific Pharmacopoeial Center for Quality of Medicines”: Kharkiv, 2020.
- Sharifi-Rad, J.; Quispe, C.; Vergara, C. V.; Kitic, D.; Kostic, M.; Armstrong, L.; Shinwari, Z. K.; Khalil, A. T.; Brdar-Jokanović, M.; Ljevnaić-Mašić, B.; Varoni, E. M.; Iriti, M.; Leyva-Gómez, G.; Herrera-Bravo, J.; Salazar, L. A.; Cho, W. C. Genus Viburnum: Therapeutic Potentialities and Agro-Food-Pharma Applications. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2021, 2021, 3095514. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/3095514.
- 20. Ersoy, N.; Ercisli, S.; Akin, M.; Gundogdu, M.; Colak, A. M.; Ben Ayed, R. Agro-morphological and biochemical characteristics of European cranberrybush (Viburnum opulus ). Compt. Rend. Acad. Bulg. Sci. 2018, 71 (4), 491–499. https://doi.org/10.7546/crabs.2018.04.07.
- Ozkan, G.; Ercisli, S.; Sagbas, H. I.; Ilhan, G. Diversity on Fruits of Wild Grown European Cranberrybush from Coruh Valley in Turkey. Erwerbs-Obstbau 2020, 62 (3), 275-279. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10341-020-00489-8.
- Zarifikhosroshahi, M.; Tugba Murathan, Z.; Kafkas, E.; Okatan, V. Variation in volatile and fatty acid contents among Viburnum opulus L. Fruits growing different locations. Scientia Horticulturae 2020, 264, 109160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2019.109160.
- Kalyoncu I. H.; Ersoy N.; Elidemir A.Y.; Karali M. E. Some physico-chemical characteristics and mineral contents of gilaburu (Viburnum opulus L.) fruits in Turkey. International Journal of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering 2013, 7 (6), 424–426.
- Dienaitė, L.; Pukalskienė, M.; Pereira, C. V.; Matias, A. A.; Venskutonis, P. R. Valorization of European Cranberry Bush (Viburnum opulus L.) Berry Pomace Extracts Isolated with Pressurized Ethanol and Water by Assessing Their Phytochemical Composition, Antioxidant, and Antiproliferative Activities. Foods 2020, 9 (10), 1413. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods9101413.
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy, 1 vydannia, dopovnennia 2 [The State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine, 1st Ed., suppl. 2, in Ukrainian]; State Enterprise “Ukrainian Scientific Pharmacopoeial Center for Quality of Medicines”: Kharkiv, 2008.
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy, 2 vydannia, dopovnennia 2 [The State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine, 2nd Ed., suppl. 2, in Ukrainian]; State Enterprise “Ukrainian Scientific Pharmacopoeial Center for Quality of Medicines”: Kharkiv, 2018.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 National University of Pharmacy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors publishing their works in the Journal of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry agree with the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right of the first publication of the work under Creative Commons Attribution License allowing everyone to distribute and re-use the published material if proper citation of the original publication is given.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book) providing proper citation of the original publication.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on authors’ personal websites) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).