Development of methods for standardization of Crocus sativus (saﬀron) stigmas for inclusion in the draft monograph of the State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine
Keywords:standardization; State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine; Crocus sativus stigma; saffron; crocin
Crocus sativus L. from the Iridaceae family is a medicinal and edible plant that has recently been actively cultivated in Ukraine. Saﬀron spice is crocus ﬂower stigmas exhibiting a wide range of the pharmacological activity due to its three main bioactive compounds: crocin, picrocrocin and safranal. The quality of this raw material is regulated
by various normative documents, but there is no monograph in the State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine (SPhU).
Aim. To perform a comparative analysis of the monograph “Saﬀron for homoeopatic preparations” from the Ph. Eur. 9.0, “Saﬀron. Croci stigma” from the Deutscher arzneimittel codex (DAC) and “Spices – Saﬀron (Crocus sativus L.)” from the ISO 3632 by the following indicators: description, identifcation (microscopy and TLC), impurities, loss on drying, total ash and quantifcation of crocin, picrocrocin and safranal by UV-Vis-spectrophotometry to clarify the possibility of harmonizing the requirements of the national legal framework for Crocus stigmas with
the Ph. Eur. 9.0, DAC and ISO 3632. The results of the analysis will be taken into account in the development of the monograph of the national part of the SPhU “Crocus stigmas (saﬀron)”.
Results and discussion. The quality indicators of Crocus stigmas and their standardization determined
by the monograph in the Ph. Eur. 9.0, DAC and ISO 3632 on the raw material studied have been analyzed; some diﬀerences in the regulated quality indicators of the raw material have been found. The results of our own research have shown that the samples of the Ukrainian Crocus (saﬀron) meet all these requirements. The results of the macro- and microscopic examination of the raw material are given. The chromatographic examination has
been performed in accordance with the Ph. Eur. 9.0 and DAC using crocin as a standard compound; the quantitative determination of crocin, picrocrocin and safranal in 8 samples of Crocus stigmas has been performed by UV-Vis-spectrophotometry in accordance with the ISO 3632. It has been proposed to introduce the following indicators to determine the specifc absorption rate: for crocin (C44H64O24; Mw – 976.70) not less than 180, for safranal (C10H14O; Mw – 150.22) – not less than 30, for picrocrocin (C16H26O7; Mw – 330.37) – not less than 60 calculated with reference to the dried raw material.
Experimental part. For analysis the dried stigmas of Crocus sativus (saﬀron) collected in the village
Lyubimivka, Kherson region, Ukraine (2016-2018), as well as commercial samples of saﬀron from Morocco,
Azerbaijan, Spain were used. The analysis of the leading normative documents containing monographs “Crocus stigmas”, among them the Eur. Ph. 9.0, DAC and ISO 3632, was performed. The studies included description of the appearance of the whole Crocus stigmas; loss on drying and the mass fraction of volatile compounds (105 °C, 16 h); the mass fraction of total ash. The amount of picrocrocin, safranal and crocin was measured by direct reading of the absorption of 1 % aqueous solution of stigmas at 257 nm, 330 nm and 440 nm, respectively, using
Conclusions. The analysis of the requirements to quality of the medicinal raw material – stigmas of Crocus sativus – has been performed based on the monographs: “Saﬀron for homoeopatic preparations” from the Ph. Eur. 9.0, “Saﬀron. Croci stigma” from the Deutscher arzneimittel codex and “Spices – Saﬀron (Crocus sativus L.)” from the ISO 3632. The main criteria for standardization of the raw material have been determined. It has been proposed to introduce the monograph to the national part of the SPhU “Crocus stigmas (saﬀron)” according to the following requirements: identifcation (macro- and microscopic signs; thin-layer chromatography (crocin); the quantitative
determination (the content of crocin, picrocrocin and safranal) adapted to the ISO 3632, performed by UV-Vis-spectrophotometry; impurities; loss on drying; total ash.
Key words: standardization; State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine; Crocus sativus stigma; saﬀron; crocin
- Ahrazem, O.; Rubio-Moraga, A.; Nebauer, S.G.; Molina, R.V.; Gómez-Gómez, L. Saffron: Its phytochemistry, developmental processes, and biotechnological prospects. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry 2015, 63, 8751 – 8764. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b03194.
- Михайленко, О. О.; Ковальов, В. М.; Кречун, А. В. Оптимальні умови вирощування харчової та лікарської рослинної сировини приймочок шафрану (Crocus sativus L.) в Україні; Інформаційний лист № 376-2018. Укрмедпатентінформ МОЗ України: Київ, 2018; Випуск 49 з проблеми «Фармація».
- Mykhailenko, O.; Kovalyov, V.; Goryacha, O.; Ivanauskas, L.; Georgiyants, V. Biologically active compounds and pharmacological activities of species of the genus Crocus: A review. Phytochemistry 2019, 162, 56 – 89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2019.02.004.
- Cardone, L.; Castronuovo, D.; Perniola, M.; Cicco, N.; Candido, V. Saffron (Crocus sativus L.), the king of spices: An overview. Scientia Horticulturae 2020, 272, 109560 – 109563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2020.1095605.
- Khare, C. P. Indian Medicinal Plants. Springer-Verlag: New York, 2007.
- Gohari, A. R.; Saeidnia, S.; Mahmoodabadi, M. K. An overview on Saffron, Phytochemicals, and Medicinal Properties. Pharmacognosy Review 2013, 7 (13), 61 – 66. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-7847.112850.
- Kell, G.; Rao, A.; Beccaria, G.; Clayton, P.; Inarejos-García, A.M.; Prodanov, M. Affron® a novel saffron extract (Crocus sativus L.) improves mood in healthy adults over 4 weeks in a double-blind, parallel, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 2017, 33, 58 – 64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2017.06.001.
- Eusano GmbH & Co. KG. Saffron extract. http://www.eusano.com/botanical-raw-materials-and-extracts/saffron-crocus-sativus/35-saffron-extract (accessed Dec 11, 2020).
- Saffr’Activ®. http://www.saffractiv.com/ (accessed Nov 25, 2020).
- European Pharmacopoeia, 9th Ed.; Euroрean Department for the Quality of Medicines: Strasbourg, 2014; Vol. 1, p. 1694.
- Materials for use in the Manufacture of Homoeopathic Preparations; “Saffron for Homoeopathic Preparations”. British Pharmacopoeia; Crown: London, 2009; Vol. III, p 7603.
- Crocus. Safran. German Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia; CRC Press, 2003; Vol. 1, p 547.
- Deutscher Arzneimittel-Codex/Neues Rezeptur-Formularium (DAC/NRF). Ergänzungsbuch zum Arzneibuch, Bundesvereinigung Deutscher Apothekerverbände (ABDA); Govi-Verlag, 2016.
- Kumkuma (Style and stigma). Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India; CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015; Part I, Vol. IV, p 59.
- Croci stigma. Taiwan Herbal Pharmacopeia, 2nd Ed.; English Version; Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2016, р 315.
- Crude Drugs Saffron. Japanese Pharmacopoeia (JP17), 17nd Ed.; English Version; The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare; 2016, р 173.
- Stigma Croci. Xihonghua. Chinese Pharmacopoeia; 2005, р 310-311.
- ISO 3632-1:2011; Spices – Saffron (Crocus sativus L.). Part 1: Specification (2 Ed.); International Organization for Standardization: Genève, 2011.
- ISO 3632-2:2010; Spices – Saffron (Crocus sativus L.). Part 2: Test methods (1 Ed.); International Organization for Standardization: Genève, 2010.
- FDA PART 73 – Listing of color additives exempt from certification Subpart A – Foods. Sec. 73.500 Saffron.
- ГОСТ 21722-84; Межгосударственный стандарт «Шафран, технические условия»; Москва, 2011.
- Doc. No. FAD 9(2516)C Draft Indian Standard Spices — Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) Part 2 Test Methods [(first revision of IS 5453 (Part 2)] (Adoption of ISO 3632 - 2 : 2010). Doc. No. FAD 9(2515)C Draft Indian Standard Spices – Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) Part 1 : Specification [third revision of IS 5453 (Part 1)] (Adoption of ISO 3632 - 1 : 2011).
- National Iranian Standards 259-1: Saffron – specifications and 259-2: Saffron – test methods.
- Барыкина, Р. П.; Веселова, Т. Д.; Девятов, А. Г.; Джалилова, Х. Х.; Ильина, Г. М.; Чубатова, Н. В. Справочник по ботанической микротехнике. Основы и методы; Издательство МГУ: Москва, 2004.
- Державна фармакопея України, 1-е вид.; РІРЕГ: Харків, 2001.
- Мykhailenko, О.; Desenko, V.; Ivanauskas, L.; Georgiyants, V. Standard operating procedure of Ukrainian saffron cultivation according with Good Agricultural and Collection Practices to assure quality and traceability. Industrial Crops and Products 2020, 151, 112376 – 112387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2020.112376.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 National University of Pharmacy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors publishing their works in the Journal of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry agree with the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right of the first publication of the work under Creative Commons Attribution License allowing everyone to distribute and re-use the published material if proper citation of the original publication is given.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book) providing proper citation of the original publication.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on authors’ personal websites) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).