The component composition of the essential oil from Laurus nobilis L. unripe fruits harvested in Ukraine
Keywords:Laurus nobilis L., essential oil, unripe fruits
Aim. To study the qualitative composition and the quantitative content of the essential oil components from Laurus nobilis L. unripe fruits.
Results and discussion. In the essential oil from Laurus nobilis L. unripe fruits 31 compounds were determined; among them 28 substances were identified. A high content was characteristic for spatulenol (1947.1 mg/kg) and betulenol (925.3 mg/kg).
Experimental part. The raw material for obtaining the essential oil (unripe fruits) of Laurus nobilis L. was harvested in November 2017 in Alushta and the village of Rybalskoe, Crimea. The component composition of the essential oil of the unripe fruits from Laurus nobilis L. was studied and the constituents of the essential oil were identified by chromato-mass spectrometry using an Agilent Technology 6890N chromatograph. The component composition of the essential oil was revealed by comparing the results obtained with data from the NIST 02 mass spectrum library (more than 174.000 substances).
Conclusions. The component composition of the essential oil from Laurus nobilis L. unripe fruits harvested in Ukraine has been studied. Taking into account the set of the biologically active compounds found in the essential oil of Laurus nobilis L. it can be argued that further pharmacognostic studies of fruits of this plant as the medicinal raw material with the predicted pharmacological activity (e.g., antimicrobial and skin cleansing) are promising.
- The work is a part of researches of the National University of Pharmacy on the topic "Pharmacognostic research of medicinal plant raw materials and development of phytotherapeutic agents based on it" (the state registration No 0114U000946)
- Guideline on good agricultural and collection practice (GACP) for starting materials of herbal origin. https://gmpua.com/GACP/GACP.pdf (accessed Jul 23, 2021).
- Лавр благородный (Laurus nobilis). https://lektrava.ru/encyclopedia/lavr-blagorodnyy (accessed Jul 18, 2021).
- Barroso, W. A.; Gondim R. S. D.; Marques V. B.; Lael, M. M.; Santos, P. F.; Oliveira Castro A. T.; Filho F. F. S.; de Sousa Melo D. N.; Vilanova, C. M. Pharmacognostic Characterization of Laurus nobilis L. Leaves. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research 2018, 10 (1), 30 – 37.
- Sahin Basak, S.; Candan, F. Effect of Laurus nobilis L. Essential Oil and its Main Components on α-glucosidase and Reactive Oxygen Species Scavenging Activity. Iran J Pharm Res 2013, 12 (2), 367 – 379.
- Muñiz-Márquez, D. B.; Wong-Paz, J. E.; Contreras-Esquivel, J. C.; Rodríguez-Herrera, R.; Aguilar, C. N. Bioactive compounds from bay leaves (Laurus nobilis) extracted by microwave technology. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung C 2018, 73 (9 – 10), 401 – 407. https://doi.org/10.1515/znc-2018-0009.
- Bayramoglu, B.; Sahin, S.; Sumnu, G. Extraction of Essential Oil from Laurel Leaves by Using Microwaves. Sep. Sci. Technol. 2009, 44 (3), 722 – 733. https://doi.org/10.1080/01496390802437271.
- Furtado, R.; Baptista, J.; Lima, E.; Paiva, L.; Barroso, J. G.; Rosa, J. S.; Oliveira, L. Chemical composition and biological activities of Laurus essential oils from different Macaronesian Islands. Biochem. Syst. Ecol. 2014, 55, 333 – 341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bse.2014.04.004.
- Mansour, O.; Darwish, M.; Ismail, G.; Douba, Z.; Ismaeel, A.; Eldair, K. S. Review Study on the Physiological Properties and Chemical Composition of the Laurus nobilis. The Pharmaceutical and Chemical Journal 2018, 5 (1), 225 – 231.
- Boughendjioua, H. Effective antifungal and antioxidant properties of essential oil extracted from the leaves of Laurus nobilis L. wild-growing in Algeria. Int. J. Biosci. 2017, 11 (4), 164 – 172. http://dx.doi.org/10.12692/ijb/11.4.164-172.
- Fidan, H.; Stefanova, G.; Kostova, I.; Stankov, S.; Damyanova, S.; Stoyanova, A.; Zheljazkov, V. D. Chemical Composition and Antimicrobial Activity of Laurus nobilis L. Essential Oils from Bulgaria. Molecules 2019, 24 (4), 804. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24040804.
- Kovacevic, N. N.; Simic, M. D.; Ristic, M. S. Essential oil of Laurus nobilis from Montenegro. Chem. Nat. Compd. 2007, 43 (4), 408 – 411. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10600-007-0150-x.
- Caputo, L.; Nazzaro, F.; Souza, L. F.; Aliberti, L.; De Martino, L.; Fratianni, F.; Coppola, R.; De Feo, V. Laurus nobilis: Composition of Essential Oil and Its Biological Activities. Molecules 2017, 22 (6), 930. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22060930.
- Bhouri, N.; Debbabi, F.; Ben Salem, I.; Ben Abdessalem, S. Exploitation of essential oil extracted from Tunisian Laurus nobilis for the development of PET antibacterial sutures. The Journal of The Textile Institute 2018, 109 (10), 1282 – 1292. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000.2017.1423006.
- Marques, A.; Teixeira, B.; Nunes, M. L., Chapter 26 – Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis) Oils. In Essential Oils in Food Preservation, Flavor and Safety, Preedy, V. R., Ed. Academic Press: San Diego, 2016; pp 239 – 246. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-416641-7.00026-2.
- Kaur, M.; Chahal, K.; Kumar, A.; Kaur, R.; Urvashi Nematicidal activity of bay leaf (Laurus nobilis L.) essential oil and its components against Meloidogyne incognita. Journal of entomology and zoology studies 2018, 6 (2), 1057 – 1064.
- Medeiros-Fonseca, B.; Mestre, V. F.; Colaço, B.; Pires, M. J.; Martins, T.; Gil da Costa, R. M.; Neuparth, M. J.; Medeiros, R.; Moutinho, M. S. S.; Dias, M. I.; Barros, L.; Bastos, M. M. S. M.; Félix, L.; Venâncio, C.; Ferreira, I. C. F. R.; Antunes, L. M.; Oliveira, P. A. Laurus nobilis (laurel) aqueous leaf extract’s toxicological and anti-tumor activities in HPV16-transgenic mice. Food & Function 2018, 9 (8), 4419 – 4428. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8FO00783G.
- Kivçak, B.; Mert, T. Preliminary evaluation of cytotoxic properties of Laurus nobilis leaf extracts. Fitoterapia 2002, 73 (3), 242 – 243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0367-326X(02)00060-6.
- Siriken, B.; Yavuz, C.; Güler, A. Antibacterial Activity of Laurus Nobilis: A Review of Literature. Med Sci Discov 2018, 5, 374 – 379. https://doi.org/10.17546/msd.482929.
- Fernandez, C. M. M.; da Rosa, M. F.; Fernandez, A. C. A. M.; Lorenzetti, F. B.; Raimundo, K. F.; Cortez, D. A. G.; Gonçalves, J. E.; Simões, M. R.; Colauto, N. B.; Lobo, V. d. S.; Gazim, Z. C. Larvicidal activity against Aedes aegypti of essential oil of Laurus nobilis leaves obtained at different seasons. J. Essent. Oil Res. 2018, 30 (5), 379 – 387. https://doi.org/10.1080/10412905.2018.1473294.
- Tabanca, N.; Avonto, C.; Wang, M.; Parcher, J. F.; Ali, A.; Demirci, B.; Raman, V.; Khan, I. A. Comparative Investigation of Umbellularia californica and Laurus nobilis Leaf Essential Oils and Identification of Constituents Active against Aedes aegypti. J. Agric. Food. Chem. 2013, 61 (50), 12283 – 12291. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf4052682.
- Petkova, Zh.; Stefanova, G.; Girova, T.; Antova, G.; Stoyanova, M.; Damianova, S.; Gochev, V.; Stoyanova, A.; Zheljazkov, V. D. Phytochemical Investigations of Laurel Fruits (Laurus nobilis). Natural Product Communications 2019, 14 (8), 1 – 10. https://doi.org/10.1177/1934578X19868876.
- Kyslychenko, A.; Dyakonova, Ya.; Alexandrov, A.; Darmogray, R. Gas chromatography with mass-spectrometric detection of the components of the essential oils from Achillea carpatica Blocki ex Dubovik and Echinaceae pallida (Nutt.). Herba Polonica Journal 2008, 54 (4), 62 – 67.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 National University of Pharmacy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors publishing their works in the Journal of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry agree with the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right of the first publication of the work under Creative Commons Attribution License allowing everyone to distribute and re-use the published material if proper citation of the original publication is given.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book) providing proper citation of the original publication.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on authors’ personal websites) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).