Classifications of Iris L. genus at the biological and molecular levels as a basis for modern phylogenetic studies
Keywords:Iris genus, Iridaceae, classification, phylogenetics, molecular analysis
Aim. To analyze and summarize literature data on the state of classification and taxonomy of Iris genus plants of Iridaceae family.
Results and discussion. The genus Iris L. is one of the largest species of Iridaceae Juss family, which includes 1,800 species of 80 genera. Despite the fact that plants are very common as ornamental plants, there is currently no single classification for both horticultural and wild species of Iris genus. Various classifications and systems of irises have been proposed, the main difference between them is related to the understanding of the genus scope. The taxonomy of Iris genus underwent dramatic changes in the last century, especially in recent decades after the introduction of molecular methods. This paper deals with the analysis of current literature data on the existing classifications of Iris genus plants, the correspondence between taxonomic studies and the results of recent molecular studies. The data presented summarize the traditional classifications according to Rodionenko and Matthew, and also describe modern achievements in phylogenetic studies of this genus using functional genomic studies, involving molecular markers in irises.
Conclusions. The data analyzed and summarized in the article can be useful for solving issues of taxonomy, phylogeny, genetics and practical problems of selection of plants of Iris genus; in addition, they will contribute to a more appropriate use of the Iris raw material in practical pharmacy.
- The work is a part of researches of M. M. Gryshko National Botanical Garden of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine on the topic «Estimation of adaptive stability of flower-ornamental plants as a basis of enrichment of cultures of phytocenoses of Ukraine» (the state registration No. 352КДР, research period 2019 – 2023) and National University of Pharmacy of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine on the topic «Pharmacognostic researches of medicinal plant raw materials and development of phytotherapeutic agents based on it» (the state registration No. 0114U000946; the research period 2016 – 2021).
- Gusarova, G. L. Issledovaniya po filogenetike i filogeografii rastenij [Research on philogenetics and philogeography of plants, in Russian]. Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Series 3. Biology 2013, 3, 85 – 108.
- Matveeva, T. V.; Pavlova, O. A.; Bogomaz, D. I.; Lutova, L. A.; Demkovich, A. E. Molecular markers for plant species identification and phylogenetics. Ekologicheskaya genetika 2011, 9 (1), 32 – 43. https://doi.org/10.17816/ecogen9132-43 [in Russian].
- Troitsky, A. V.; Ignatov, M. S.; Bobrova, V. K.; Milyutina, I. A. Contribution of genosystematics to present concepts of phylogeny and classification of bryophytes. Biohimiya 2007, 72 (12), 1675 – 1689 [in Russian].
- Alexeyeva, N. B. Genus Iris L. (Iridaceae) in Russia. Turczaninowia 2008, 11 (2), 5-68 [in Russian].
- Troitskii, M. O.; Buidin, Yu. V. Palinomorphological analysis of Iris hybrida hort. (Rodion.) cultivars plants. Introduktsiia roslyn 2018, 2, 36 – 46 [in Ukrainian].
- Hutsalenko, K. V.; Masloid, T. V. Boridkovi irysy yak alternatyvne dzherelo flavonoidiv [Bearded irises as an alternative source of flavonoids, in Ukrainian]. In Modern clinical pharmacology in pharmacotherapy and prevention of diseases based on evidence medicine, Proceedings of the Х Ukrainian Scientific Conference, Vinnytsia, Nov 7-8, 2019; Moroz, V. M., Yakovleva, O. O., Eds.; Nilan-Ldt: Vinnytsia, 2019; pp 60 – 61.
- Rodionenko, G. I. Rod Iris – Iris L. [Genus Iris – Iris L., in Russian]; USSR Academy of Sciences Publishing House: Leningrad, 1961.
- Mathew, B. The Iris, 2nd Ed.; B.T. Batsford: London, 1990.
- Parnikoza, I. Yu.; Troitska, T. B.; Troitskyi, M. O.; Kunakh, V. A. Stan populiatsii Iris pumila L. z riznykh rehioniv Mykolaivshchyny [The state of the population Iris pumila L. from different regions of Mykolayiv region, in Ukrainian]. In Proceedings of 2nd Scientific Readings in Memory of Serhiy Tarashchuk, Mykolaiv, 6 Apr, 2011; Publishing house of Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University: Mykolaiv, 2011, pp 112 – 115.
- Wróblewska, A.; Brzosko, E.; Czarnecka, B.; Nowosielski, J. High levels of genetic diversity in populations of Iris aphylla L. (Iridaceae), an endangered species in Poland. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 2003, 142 (1), 65 – 72. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1095-8339.2003.00162.x.
- Twardovska, M. O.; Andreev, I. O.; Kunakh V. A. Karyotypes of species of the genus Iris from the flora of Ukraine. Ukrainian Botanical Journal 2014, 71 (5), 581 – 589. https://doi.org/10.15407/ukrbotj71.05.581 [in Ukrainian].
- Sсhneyer, V. S. Immunochemical method of comparison of proteins as a tool in plant systematics. Botanicheskij zhurnal 1988, 73 (8), 1073-1084 [in Russian].
- Sсhneyer, V. S. Serotaxonomical investigation of the genus Iris s. str. (Iridaceae). Botanicheskij zhurnal 1999, 84 (9), 1073 – 1084 [in Russian].
- Dorogina, O. V.; Doronkin, V. M.; Selutina, I. Yu.; Konichenko, E. S. Structure of the genus Iris L. (Iridaceae Juss.) in Asiatic Russia revealed by SDS-electrophoresis of seed storage proteins. Turczaninowia 2012, 15 (4), 76 – 81 [in Russian].
- Meerow, A. W.; Gideon, M.; Kuhn, D. N.; Mopper, S.; Nakamura, K. The Genetic Mosaic of Iris Series Hexagonae in Florida: Inferences on the Holocene History of the Louisiana Irises and Anthropogenic Effects on Their Distribution. International Journal of Plant Sciences 2011, 172 (8), 1026-1052. https://doi.org/10.1086/661295.
- Makarevitch, I.; Golovnina, K.; Scherbik, S.; Blinov, A. Phylogenetic Relationships of the Siberian Iris Species Inferred from Noncoding Chloroplast DNA Sequences. International Journal of Plant Sciences 2003, 164 (2), 229 – 237. https://doi.org/10.1086/346160.
- Rodionenko, G. I. On the independence of the genus Xyridion (Iridaceae). Botanicheskij zhurnal 2005, 90 (1), 55 – 59 [in Russian].
- Rodionenko, G. I. Eremiris, a new genus of the family Iridaceae. Botanicheskij zhurnal 2006, 91 (11), 1707 – 1712 [in Russian].
- Rodionenko, G. I. On the independence of the genus Limniris (Iridaceae). Botanicheskij zhurnal 2007, 92 (4), 547 – 554 [in Russian].
- Rodionenko, G. I. A new system of the genus Iris (Iridaceae). Botanicheskij zhurnal 2009, 94 (3), 423 – 435 [in Russian].
- Tillie, N.; Chase, M. W.; Hall, T. Molecular studies in the genus Iris L.: a preliminary study. Annali di Botanica 2000, 58, 105 – 112.
- Wilson, C. A. Paterns of evolution in characters that define Iris subgenera and sections. Aliso: A Journal of Systematic and Floristic Botany 2006, 22 (1), 425 – 433. https://doi.org/10.5642/aliso.20062201.34.
- Wilson, C. A. Subgeneric classification in Iris re-examined using chloroplast sequence data. TAXON 2011, 60 (1), 27 – 35. https://doi.org/10.1002/tax.601004.
- Mavrodiev, E. V.; Martínez-Azorín, M.; Dranishnikov, P.; Crespo, M. B. At Least 23 Genera Instead of One: The Case of Iris L. s.l. (Iridaceae). PLOS ONE 2014, 9 (8), e106459. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0106459.
- Weber, T.; Jakše, J.; Sladonja, B.; Hruševar, D.; Landeka, N.; Brana, S.; Bohanec, B.; Milović, M.; Vladović, D.; Mitić, B.; Poljuha, D. Molecular Study of Selected Taxonomically Critical Taxa of the Genus Iris L. from the Broader Alpine-Dinaric Area. Plants 2020, 9 (9), 1229. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants9091229.
- Makarevicz, I. F.; Doronkin, V. M.; Sherbik, S. W.; Blinov, A. G. Application of RAPD-PCR method in the study of phylogenetic relationships between Siberian species of the genus Iris L. (Iridaceae). Turczaninowia 2001, 4 (4), 80 – 92 [in Russian].
- Boltenkov, E.; Artyukova, E.; Kozyrenko, M.; Erst, A.; Trias-Blasi, A. Iris sanguinea is conspecific with I. sibirica (Iridaceae) according to morphology and plastid DNA sequence data. PeerJ 2020, 8, e10088. https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.10088.
- Boltenkov, E. V.; Artyukova, E. V.; Trias-Blasi, A. Taxonomic Composition of Iris Subser. Chrysographes (Iridaceae) Inferred from Chloroplast DNA and Morphological Analyses. Plants 2021, 10 (11), 2232. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants10112232.
- Guo, J.; Wilson, C. A.; Gemmill, C. E. C. Molecular Phylogeny of Crested Iris Based on Five Plastid Markers (Iridaceae). Systematic Botany 2013, 38 (4), 987 – 995.
- Al-Gabbiesh Al-Gabbiesh, A. H., Hassawi, D. S., Afifi, F. U. Determination of genetic diversity among Iris species using random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis. Biotechnology 2006, 5 (2), 173 – 179. https://doi.org/10.3923/biotech.2006.173.179.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 National University of Pharmacy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors publishing their works in the Journal of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry agree with the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right of the first publication of the work under Creative Commons Attribution License allowing everyone to distribute and re-use the published material if proper citation of the original publication is given.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book) providing proper citation of the original publication.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on authors’ personal websites) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).