Standardization of dry extracts from large cranberry leaves
Keywords:cranberry, leaves, dry extract, standardization
Aim. To determine the parameters of standardization of a dry extract from large cranberry (Oxycoccus macrocarpus (Ait.)) leaves and a dry extract modified with arginine and develop projects of Drug Quality Control Methods (DQCM) for these substances.
Materials and methods. The study object was dry extracts from large cranberry leaves. Leaves were harvested in October 2021 in the Zhytomyr region (Kostivtsi village, 50.326862437345945, 29.54310845594284). The extracts were obtained with a 50 % solution of ethyl alcohol in the ratio of 1:30 by double maceration. Half of the combined extract was dried to a dry extract (Extract 1), and the other half was modified with arginine in the threefold equimolar amount relative to the total amount of phenolic compounds and evaporated to a dry extract (Extract 2). Standard pharmacopoeial methods were used to determine standardization parameters. The quantitative determination was carried out using the spectrophotometric method by the content of flavonoids calculated with reference to hyperoside and hydroxycinnamic acids calculated with reference to chlorogenic acid on an Evolution 60S spectrophotometer (Thermo Scientific Spectronic, USA).
Results and discussion. The parameters of standardization of dry extracts from large cranberry leaves were determined. The project of DQCM was proposed according to the following indicators: description, solubility, identification using the thin-layer chromatography method (by the content of flavonoids, hydroxycinnic acids and arginine), loss on drying, the residual amount of organic solvents (ethanol), microbiological purity, and the content of heavy metals. The assay was carried out using spectrophotometry by the content of flavonoids and derivatives of hydroxycinnic acids. Three batches of the extracts obtained, which fully corresponded to the projects of DQCM developed, were analyzed.
Conclusions. The parameters of standardization of dry extracts from large cranberry leaves have been determined, and projects of DQCM for the substances obtained have been developed. It is the basis for creating new medicines for the correction of insulin-resistant conditions in Type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- This work was supported by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine from the State Budget in the framework [grant number 2301020] “Scientific and scientific-technical activity in the field of health protection” on the topic “Modern approaches to the creation of new medicines for correction of the metabolic syndrome”.
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas. https://diabetesatlas.org/data/en/world/ (accessed Aug 20, 2022).
- International Diabetes Federation. Type 2 diabetes. https://www.idf.org/aboutdiabetes/type-2-diabetes.html (accessed Aug 21, 2022).
- Harding, J. L.; Pavkov, M. E.; Magliano, D. J.; Shaw, J. E.; Gregg, E. W. Global trends in diabetes complications: a review of current evidence. Diabetologia 2019, 62 (1), 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-018-4711-2.
- Padhi, S.; Nayak, A. K.; Behera, A. Type II diabetes mellitus: a review on recent drug based therapeutics. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 2020, 131, 110708. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2020.110708.
- Omolola, R. A.; Nicole, L. B.; Oluwafemi, O. O. Oxidative Stress and Diabetic Complications: The Role of Antioxidant Vitamins and Flavonoids. In Antioxidant-Antidiabetic Agents and Human Health; Oluwafemi, O., Ed.; IntechOpen: Rijeka, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5772/57282.
- Koshovyi, O. M.; Zagayko, A. L.; Kolychev, I. O.; Akhmedov, E. Yu.; Komissarenko, A. N. Phytochemical study of the dry extract from bilberry leaves. Azerbaijan Pharmaceutical and Pharmacotherapy Journal 2016, 1, 18-23.
- Zagayko, A. L.; Kolisnyk, T. Y.; Chumak, O. I.; Ruban, O. A.; Koshovyi, O. M. Evaluation of anti-obesity and lipid-lowering properties of Vaccinium myrtillus leaves powder extract in a hamster model. Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology 2018, 29 (6), 697-703. https://doi.org/10.1515/jbcpp-2017-0161.
- Koshovyi, O.; Granica, S.; Piwowarski, J. P.; Stremoukhov, O.; Kostenko, Y.; Kravchenko, G.; Krasilnikova, O.; Zagayko, A. Highbush Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) Leaves Extract and Its Modified Arginine Preparation for the Management of Metabolic Syndrome – Chemical Analysis and Bioactivity in Rat Model. Nutrients 2021, 13 (8), 2870. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13082870.
- Chaika, N.; Koshovyi, O.; Ain, R.; Kireyev, I.; Zupanets, A.; Odyntsova, V. Phytochemical profile and pharmacological activity of the dry extract from Arctostaphylos uva-ursi leaves modified with phenylalanine. ScienceRise: Pharmaceutical Science 2020, 6, 74-84. https://doi.org/10.15587/2519-4852.2020.222511.
- Koshovyi, O. M.; Vlasova, I. K.; Briukhanova, T. O.; Krasilnikova, O. A.; Kravchenko, H. B.; Zahaiko, A. L.; Komisarenko, M. A. Sposib oderzhannia likuvalno-profilaktychnoho zasobu z lystia zhuravlyny velykoplodoi dlia korektsii insulinorezystentnykh staniv [A method of obtaining a therapeutic and prophylactic agent from the leaves of large cranberries for the correction of insulin-resistant conditions, in Ukrainian]. UA Pat. 147975, Jun 23, 2021.
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy: v 3 tomakh, 2 vydannia [The State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine: in 3 volumes, 2nd, in Ukrainian]; State Enterprise “Ukrainian Scientific Pharmacopoeial Center for Quality of Medicines”: Kharkiv, 2015; Vol. 1.
- Vlasova, I.; Gontova, T.; Grytsyk, L.; Zhumashova, G.; Sayakova, G.; Boshkayeva, A.; Shanaida, M.; Koshovyi, O. Determination of standardization parameters of Oxycoccus macrocarpus (Ait.) Pursh and Oxycoccus palustris Pers. Leaves. ScienceRise: Pharmaceutical Science 2022, 3, 48-57. https://doi.org/10.15587/2519-4852.2022.260352.
- Kotova, E. E.; Kolychev, I. O.; Shishko, T. V.; Kotov, A. G.; Koshovyi, O. M Pytannia vvedennia do DFU natsionalnoi monohrafii «Chornytsi pahony» [The issue of introducing the national monograph “Blueberry Shoots” to the State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine, in Ukrainian]. Farmacom 2016, 3, 9-15.
- Koshovyi, O. M. Doslidzhennya fenolʹnykh spoluk spyrtovoho ekstraktu lystya evkalipta prutovydnoho [Study of phenolic compounds of the alcoholic extract of eucalyptus leaves, in Ukrainian]. Farmacom 2010, 3, 27-31.
Kovaleva, A. M., Georgievskii, G. V., Kovalev, V. M. et al. Rozrobka metodu standartyzatsiyi novoho likarsʹkoho zasobu piflamin [Development of a method of standardization of a new medicine piflamin, in Ukrainian]. Farmacom 2002, 2, 92-97.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 National University of Pharmacy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors publishing their works in the Journal of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry agree with the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right of the first publication of the work under Creative Commons Attribution License allowing everyone to distribute and re-use the published material if proper citation of the original publication is given.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book) providing proper citation of the original publication.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on authors’ personal websites) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).